Pssst… wanna make a comic book?
We at National Press Comics are always looking for new creative talent. Breaking into comics is tough, but with NPC you might be able to get the experience and exposure you’ve been looking for. Keep reading to find out how!
FIRST THINGS FIRST:
- NPC only publishes creator-owned material.
When submitting to NPC, keep in mind we’re looking for something from your imagination, not something using existing characters; ours or anyone else’s. We only take proposals for new comics.
- NPC only publishes creator generated properties. WE DON’T PAY PAGE RATES.
NPC takes a small percentage from a production’s net profit, and the rest goes to that project’s creative team. How that profit is split up is entirely up to the creators involved.
- We don’t accept writing samples.
Do not send your script, synopsis, or plot without art work. We will not review text-only submissions.
- We do accept art samples.
If you’re a penciler, inker, colorist or letterer, we’ll keep your stuff on file and may hook you up with other creators if we get a chance. Mail in clean 8 1/2″x 11″ photocopies of your sample pages — NOT originals. Artwork can be difficult to copy, so please make sure the reproduction quality is high.
- For Pencilers: Just send pencils. Do not send inked, colored, or lettered pages. Any problems in the inking, coloring or lettering may carry over to your work and influence our opinion of your penciling. Just send sequential pages, NO pin-ups. Your ability to tell a story with pictures is what we’re looking at, not just your ability to draw a cool pose.
- For Inkers: Don’t send samples inked over your own pencils. Remember, flaws in the underlying pencils will influence our decision. Send copies of the original pencils along with your inks so we can see what you started with. Choose samples done over several different penciling styles so we can see how you handle variety.
- For Colorists: Don’t send samples colored over your own line art. As stated before, any mistakes in the underlying black and white artwork will influence our opinion of your coloring.
- Things often change from the proposal to the stands.
Logos. Branding. Even the title. Over the course of production, expect it all to be up for grabs. If the title of your book is awkward, too long, or derivative, we may suggest changing it. If your logo is too complicated to be recognized from across the room, we may suggest changing it. We might have a better idea of what type of book would be successful, so have an open mind with regards to what format the final product is published in. You always have input, and we won’t do anything without your approval, but let’s be real here: the end goal is to sell (a lot of) your comic. We’ll do everything we can to ensure that happens.
HERE’S WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
Our mission statement is “Comics For Everyone”, but that doesn’t mean every comic works for everyone. We are not looking for any specific genre or type of comic book. We are looking for stories that are well written and well drawn, by people who are dedicated and can meet deadlines. Tell us what sets your specific book apart from other comics and who the target audience is. You should specify whether you see it as a full color or a black and white book, a mini, maxi, or ongoing series, or an Original Graphic Novel.
All submissions will be reviewed and responded to within 3-5 weeks of receipt. Please don’t inquire as to the status of your submission unless you have not received a response after this time period.
A submission packet should include:
- A self-addressed stamped envelope, with complete contact information.
- A typed cover letter with all contact information: Introduce yourself; let us know what you’re about. We don’t need a full resumé or anything, but if you’ve had published work, here’s the place to tell us about it. Also include ALL your contact information, including a valid email address.
- A one page synopsis of the story. No need to be coy: tell us the whole story you’ve planned, in as few words as possible. Remember, we’re the publisher, not the audience; just let us know what happens!
- Photocopies of fully inked and lettered pages. We’d like to see clean 8 1/2″x 11″ photocopies; at least one issue of a series or the first 20 pages of a Graphic Novel. Please don’t send original artwork – that’s your work, you need to keep it safe.
- A cover mock-up. This should include your proposed logo as well.
- Color is optional. If you want a color book, it is recommended, but not mandatory.
Send your proposal to:
c/o NPC Comics
P.O. Box 72441
Oakland, CA 94612
Or email to: [email protected]